Friday, February 2, 2018

Sleep No More

One of my all-time-favorite mystery writers is P.D. James. This is one of 2 collections of short-stories published posthumously that I recently checked out from the library. The other is The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories. James wrote  21 books and I think I have read almost all of the fiction entries. I don't find the short stores as satisfying, although they are certainly clever and often surprising. Nobody gets away scott-free--or do they? The advantage, of course, is not getting drawn into a longer work that keeps me from going to sleep at night!
The Washington Post provides synopses of the 6 short stories in this volume and says of the collection, "James was never much interested in ax-murderers or serial killers; she preferred to examine respectable citizens who turn to crime. The stories collected here are variously surprising, sardonic and darkly humorous, and are always intelligent and beautifully written."

No comments: