Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Crusader

This is an historical novel by Michael Alexander Eisner (his debut as a writer of fiction) set in late 13th C eastern Spain and "The Levant," as the areas of the eastern Mediterranean were called. It is certainly a competently crafted novel in terms of character development, plot line, descriptions of setting. I have to ask myself, therefore, why it did not engage me.
Primarily, it was because I did not particularly like or empathize with any of the characters. The narration is primarily reported by a self-serving monk, Brother Lucas, at Santes Creus monastery, who has risen to the position of Prior (just below the abbot in the chain of authority). The main story line revolves around him being assigned to "exorcise" a crusader, Francisco Montcada, who has returned to Spain from The Levant after fighting and being subsequently imprisoned, and is now apparently possessed. Once Francisco begins to talk again, the bulk of the tale is his report of what happened while in Syria (Toron, Krak des Chevaliers, and Aleppo). Francisco was trained to an order of monastic Knights by a family friend, "Uncle Ramon," the leader of the Knights of Calatrava. When Ramon is betrayed by the King's son, Don Fernando, at Toron and dies, Francisco and his cousin and fellow Knight, Andres, are devastated. In a subsequent and futile  battle to save the fortress at Krak des Chevaliers, these two are also betrayed and traded to the Saracens by Don Fernando in exchange for the freedom of the remaining fighters. Andres is eventually beheaded with many of their fellow prisoners, but Francisco is finally ransomed and returns home a broken man. Brother Lucas is encouraged to bring Andres' sister, Isabel, to the monastery to tempt Francisco back to life and the light. Don Fernando, who had thought both of the knights dead, shows up and tries to murder Francisco, but is killed instead. Lucas, Isabel, and Francisco are exiled to Isabel's family home, Girona. So, in sum, we have a rather unlikable monk, a really nasty bad guy, and a guilt-ridden Crusader. Meh.
The historical events are described in rather grisly but not very enlightening detail. That is, I learned more about the cruelty of the warring parties than I did about the actual setting or events. I will often be engaged in a book if I feel I am learning new and interesting things about a period of history. I guess I have already such a jaded view of organized religion, and certainly of the Crusades, that it did not apply here.
I was curious to see how things turned out and, although the ending seemed realistic, it was not compelling. In short, I would not read this book again or recommend it unless you are particularly fond of reading about the Crusades. One reviewer summed it up by saying, "I found myself just wanting to get it over with." A somewhat more flattering review is offered by Kirkus, a source I generally find to be reliable and similar to my own.

No comments: