Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Dead Ever After

This is it folks, the last of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. As I have said before, I love the characters in these books and thought the HBO TV series ("True Blood") based on them was just a terrible misrepresentation of characters--at least based on the 2 or 3 I could stand to make myself watch. I have actually "read" all 13 of these books, but mostly via audiobooks, which I highly recommend since the reader has a great southern accent! In this episode, Sookie gets unmarried from vampire lover, Eric, at the insistence of his new boss, the King of Louisiana. Eric was promised by his maker to the Queen of Oklahoma as a consort and is apparently pretty angry that Sookie did not use her magic wish, granted by her faerie kin, to release him from this contract. Rather she raised business partner, boss, and long-time friend Sam from the dead when he was killed in a big showdown between rogue werewolves and the established pack that occurred at the end Deadlocked. There seem to be several creatures out to get Sookie, and if they can't get her by framing her for murder, they may take a more direct route. But Sookie's friends turn out in force to stand up for her in court,  help find the real murderer, and protect her from dark forces. Pretty satisfying ending to the series, although I hate to see them all go, just as I hated to see the end of the Shakespeare series :-(

No comments: