Monday, May 13, 2013

Wasp Factory

This first novel by Ian Banks got so many rave reviews that I put myself on the wait list at the library to get it, instead of just putting it on a list of books I would read later. BUT after 60+ pages, I am not going to finish it, even though it has been touted as "one of the top 100 novels of the century" by The Independent (result of a British poll) and "Brilliant...irresistible...compelling" by the New York Times. It is clear early on that this is a first person narrative by a pretty disturbed person and once he/she described using a home-made flame thrower to set a bunch of wild rabbits on fire, I was pretty much done. Although my curiosity was piqued about why someone turned out this way, it just wasn't worth it to me to spend the time in this twisted world. I also don't like to read/watch things like "Dexter" which is hugely popular, or "The Wire" but that's just me. The world is full of misery. Guess I have enough demons of my own that I don't need to seek out and become acquainted with anyone else's. Mr. Banks has written numerous other books, about half in the science fiction genre, perhaps they are not all so macabre. Moreover, I am a subscriber to  Nancy Pearl's "Rule of 50" which frees me of having to finish books I don't like after 50 pages (minus one page for each year my age exceeds 50). Too many books, too little time.

No comments: