Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Broken Souls

Third in a series ("Carson Ryder") by Jack Kerley, this was an author I didn't know before reading this book. Apaprently this is the UK title; the American version is Garden of Vipers. There was a fairly limited selection in the book exchange at the resort, however, and I am out of paper books, though I still have some downloaded on my computer....that won't work on a 20 hour plane trip--the battery just won't stand up to that ;-)
Anyway, solid writing and interesting characters in this police procedural. Set in Mobile, Alabama, which is not a common setting. Detectives Carson Ryder and Harry Nautilus have been partners for many years and have their own arrangements for things. For example, when they are way out of town, Carson rides lying down in the back seat while Harry drives; Carson does some of his best thinking in this "safe" place--you'll have to read to find out why. But it's just an example of the nice little quirky details that are provided. This one had me fooled until very late in the book about who exactly did what, but then I allow myself to fairly easily suspend disbelief. What starts out looking like a serial killer hunt isn't that exactly, although several women are indeed murdered by the same person. I won't go looking for his earlier books, but I wouldn't hesitate to read more by this author.

No comments: